Views From the Petrified Forest

Obviously I am somewhat biased but I do think that the Petrified Forest National Park is one of the best and most beautiful places in the world. Even after eight years I am awestruck every day that I spend in the park. Here is a short series of photos for readers who have never had a chance to visit. All photos are courtesy of the National Park Service. Photos 1, 3, and 5 were taken by T. Scott Williams.

The "sled log" in the Blue Forest (Blue Mesa and Sonsela Members, Chinle Formation) .

Sonsela Member hoodoos in the "Devil's Playground" area of the park.

Pedestal petrified logs in the Sonsela Member at Blue Mesa.



Looking down on the Rainbow Forest badlands from cliffs of the Flattops Sandstone #1.



Reddish badlands of the Petrified Forest Member capped by volcanics of the Pliocene Bidahochi Formation.

1 comment:

  1. You may be biased, but I'm not. And I have to agree -- it's one of the most beautiful places I've been to. (It ties with the Norwegian coast, which is too different to compare directly.)

    ReplyDelete

Markup Key:
- <b>bold</b> = bold
- <i>italic</i> = italic
- <a href="http://www.fieldofscience.com/">FoS</a> = FoS