"Dinosaur Rock" at Petrified Forest National Park

The Earth Science Picture of the Day is what the photographer is calling "Dinosaur Rock" in Petrified Forest National Park (aka Battleship Rock). I will agree that to make this a dinosaur you need to right angle and lighting. I'll admit I'll never look at this outcrop the same again.

BTW... the name Battleship Rock stems from the petrified logs sticking out of the side of the butte that are reminiscent of cannon on a ship.

I'm glad Mr. Lachman enjoyed the park and featured it in his picture of the day.

1 comment:

  1. When Rachel and I were out with Randy yesterday, I sorta renamed it Phytosaur Rock. When coming from the south, the top of it REALLY looks like a phytosaur skull.

    ReplyDelete

Markup Key:
- <b>bold</b> = bold
- <i>italic</i> = italic
- <a href="http://www.fieldofscience.com/">FoS</a> = FoS