The Oldest Fossil Feather from Europe

No it's not Triassic, but I'll bet I got a few hearts racing with that title on this blog!  Anyhow, I couldn't resist, plus I'm not really sure what I think of this.  I'm just seeing a smear, but then again I'm not a fossil feather expert.  What do you think?

Schweigert, G., Tischlinger, H. & Dietl, G. 2009. The oldest fossil feather from Europe. Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie, Abh., DOI: 10.1127/0077-7749/2009/0061.

Abstract: We describe a fossil feather from Nusplingen, an Upper Jurassic Solnhofen-type Fossil - lagerstätte in SW Germany. It is Late Kimmeridgian in age and thus stratigraphically older than the isolated Archaeopteryx feather from the Lower Tithonian of Solnhofen, Bavaria, described in 1861. The features of the new find are unique, therefore it is impossible to identify the animal from which this feather came, but despite this uncertainty, the specimen may play an important role in our understanding of the evolution of feathers.
from Schweigert et al. 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Markup Key:
- <b>bold</b> = bold
- <i>italic</i> = italic
- <a href="http://www.fieldofscience.com/">FoS</a> = FoS